Here is a handmade gift that looks good and is really useful too. Make this keying for as a gift for your friend who never finds her keys in that big bags of hers!
It’s fluffy, its bold, its visible and it looks nice with your keys on it. I have made so many of this key rings for friends and family.
The instructions below are for making a key ring that measures 7cm wide by 10cm long.
How long does it take to make the key ring?
- Under 10 minutes!
What you need:
- Two pieces of cotton fabric cut – 10cm wide by 13cm long (Hint: I added 3 cm seam allowance to the final width and length)
- Toy filling to stuff the key ring
- Split Ring Key Ring
- One 4mm brass eyelet and Eyelet Pliers Hole Punch Tool
Steps to make the fluffy chunky key ring:
- Add an appliqué to one side or both pieces of fabric – it’s up to you!
- Sew the two fabric pieces together, right side to right side leaving a 4cm hole on the opposite side of where the key ring hole will be. Sew using a 1.5cm seam allowance
- Clip the corners. Turn the fabric inside through the hole. Use a toothpick or bamboo skewers to gently push the corners out.
- Mark the hole for the key ring. It should be in the centre 1.5 cm down from the top edge.
- Punch the hole, apply the eyelet with the pliers
- Fit in the split key ring through the eyelet
- Stuff the key ring with the filling
- Slip stitch the hole shut.